Actor and comedian Russell Brand was today charged with rape, indecent assault, oral rape and two counts of sexual assault against four women. Detectives began an investigation after 50-year-old Brand was accused of rape, sexual assaults and emotional abuse by several women in a joint investigation by The Sunday Times, The Times and Channel 4 Dispatches in September 2023. The Metropolitan Police have now charged Brand - who lives in Florida - by post with one count each of rape, indecent assault and oral rape, as well as two counts of sexual assault, relating to four different women, and issued a court summons. Brand has previously denied the accusations, and said all his sexual relationships were 'absolutely always consensual'. The alleged incidents took place between 1999 and 2005, and Brand is due to appear at Westminster Magistrates' Court on May 2. The star was married to pop singer Katy Perry from 2010 to 2012 - then in 2017 wed Laura Gallacher, the sister of presenter Kirsty, and the pair have three children. On Wednesday, Brand attended a record reveal party for prominent Christian worship singer Brandon Lake in Charleston, South Carolina, and said: 'I really admire you because I don't think it's very easy to live in a commercial space, to be an entertainer, and remain aligned with the Lord.'
Russell Brand is charged with rape: Star accused of rape and sexual assaults against four women over six years
